Skip to main content

Point Park's recycling program is aimed at building a greener campus. Each campus building floor has containers where materials that can be recycled are deposited and collected by the housekeeping staff. Residence halls have recycling containers in each elevator lobby. If you cannot locate a recycling container on campus, please contact Physical Plant at 412-392-3490.

Students, faculty and staff can recycle paper, metal cans, aluminum cans and plastic.

Paper (White Paper, Colored Paper, Magazines, Newspapers and Books):

Office paper recycling starts with small recycling boxes that can be kept at the desk, copy machine or printer for collection of white office paper. All white paper, colored paper, magazines, newspapers and books can be recycled. Paper recycling containers are located in each faculty and staff office, as well as in computer labs. Faculty and staff can deliver their paper to one of the recycling centers located in each department. In the residence halls, students can bring paper products to one of the centrally located building recycling centers or a desk side unit.

Windowed envelopes may be recycled if the plastic window has been removed before placing in recycle containers.

If your department needs additional paper recycling containers, please contact Physical Plant at 412-392-3490.

Commingled (Cans, Aluminum Cans, Plastic Containers)

All metal cans, jars, aluminum cans, and plastic containers can be recycled. Commingled recycling containers are located in departmental recycling centers in academic and residential buildings. Additional containers are placed in public spaces on campus as needed.

If your department needs additional paper recycling containers, please contact the Physical Plant at 412-392-3490.
Facilities Management appreciates your assistance! We reduce the material that we dispose of at the Allegheny County Solid Waste Recovery Center when we place as much recyclable material as possible into the recycling stream.

Examples of what Can, and Cannot, be Recycled

Cans and Bottles


  • Plastic bottles
  • Aluminum cans (i.e. pop cans)
  • Tin cans (i.e. soup cans)
  • Aluminum foil (combine small pieces together into large softball size pieces)
  • Empty aerosol cans

NOTE: Bottle caps, beverage liquids, and lids need not be removed. Please empty food residue.


  • Plastic and paper cups
  • Ceramics (dishes, mugs, cups)
  • Light bulbs
  • Mirrors
  • Window (plate) glass
  • Glass bottles
  • Drinking glasses
  • Laboratory glassware (pyrex)
  • Miscellaneous Waste

If you have any questions about how to properly dispose of specific waste items, call the Physical Plant at 412-392-3490.



  • Newspaper, including glossy inserts
  • Course catalogs
  • Phone books
  • Magazines
  • Hard cover books
  • Soft cover books
  • Journals
  • Brown Envelopes
  • Catalogs
  • Cereal-type boxes (chipboard)
  • Student-staff directories
  • Brown paper bags


  • Packaging that is intended to, or has been, refrigerated or frozen (Place these in the trash). These containers are coated with a film that prevents them from being recyclable.
  • TRASH (paper cups, paper towels, etc.)

Office Paper


  • Copier paper
  • Computer paper
  • Typing paper
  • Loose-leaf paper
  • Tablet paper
  • Letterhead
  • Notebook paper
  • Post-It Notes
  • Index cards
  • Glossy brochures
  • Envelopes with windows
  • Envelopes with labels
  • Adding machine paper
  • Manila folders

NOTE: Rubber bands, staples and small paper clips need not be removed.


  • Food related papers
  • Copy paper wrappers
  • Paper cups and plates
  • Paper towels
  • Candy wrappers
  • Tissue
  • Napkins
  • Anything sticky or self adhesive (except Post-it Notes)