Assistant Professor of Dance
- B.A., Dance Performance, Saint Mary's College
- School of American Ballet
- Ballet V, VI, VII, VIII
- Male Technique
- Entrepreneurship and the Arts
Matthew Powell received his training at the School of American Ballet, and danced professionally with Pacific Northwest Ballet, Kansas City Ballet, San Francisco Opera, the international tour of West Side Story and more.
As a choreographer, Powell was awarded a fellowship from the New York Choreographic Institute, an affiliate of New York City Ballet, and received a choreographic award at Regional Dance America. He has created works for Kansas City Ballet, the Joffrey Ballet School, Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet, Point Park University, Broadway Dance Center, the art exhibit 'Capturing Nureyev,' and worked as an on-set choreographer for BLOCH dancewear.
Powell's ballet master credits include Royal New Zealand Ballet, Cedar Lake Contemporary Ballet, Slovak National Ballet, Oklahoma City Ballet and the television show Flesh and Bone, which aired on STARZ.
His teaching credits include The Juilliard School, Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet, Rock School for Dance Education, Ballet Hispanico, Complexions Contemporary Ballet, Broadway Dance Center, Peridance, Ballet Tech, Kansas City Ballet School, Trey McIntyre Project, Matthew Bourne, Karole Armitage, Billy Elliot on Broadway, Universities of Iowa and Alabama, and more. Additionally, Powell has worked extensively as an assistant director for opera productions across the country.
Selected Artistic Works:
- Royal New Zealand Ballet: Cacti, Episode 31 Tuplet by Alexander Ekman, A Christmas Carol by Massimo Moricone
- Cedar Lake Contemporary Ballet: Violet Kid by Hofesh Schecter, Indigo Rose by Jiri Kylian, Ten Duets on a Theme of Rescue by Crysal Pite
- Slovak National Ballet: Nijinsky by Daniel de Andrade
- Television series Flesh and Bone, choreography by Ethan Stiefel, George Balanchine and Marius Petipa
- Oklahoma City Ballet: The Sleeping Beauty, repetiteur of Marius Petipa choreography
- Kansas City Ballet, William Whitener, Artistic Director: Resonant Dances
- Oui Dance, Brice Mousset, Artistic Director: Quarter Note
- Point Park University, Conservatory Dance Company: L'espace Que Vous Voyez
- Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet, Marcia Dale Weary, Artistic Director: Les Etudiants
- Complexions Contemporary Ballet
- Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre
- The Trey McIntyre Project
- New Adventures Re-Bourne - Matthew Bourne
- Armitage Gone! Dance - Karol Armitage
- Billy Elliott, Broadway Production
- University of Alabama
- University of Iowa
- Choreographic Fellowship, New York Choreographic Institute
Point Park Feature
In the News
- "Matthew Powell talks about the fear of not being successful," Fear Not Podcast, Feb. 7, 2018.