Darlene Marnich, Ph.D.
Professor and Chair, School of Education
- Bachelor of Arts, Economics and Rhetoric/Speech Communications, University of Pittsburgh
- Bachelor of Science, Mathematics/Secondary Education, Point Park University
- Master of Education, Curriculum and Instruction, University of Pittsburgh
- Doctor of Philosophy, Curriculum and Instruction, Preston University
- All course work completed toward Ed.D., University of Pittsburgh
- Teaching Mathematics
- Teaching Science and Health
- Mathematical Experience
- General Mathematics
- Basic Algebra
- College Algebra
- Elementary Statistics
- The University Experience - Education
- Advanced Practicum - Instructional Studies
Darlene Marnich, Ph.D., began her career at Point Park University in 1981 with the position of assistant to the dean of curricular administration. In 1982, she took the position of assistant to the chair of the Department of Natural Sciences and Engineering Technology and also began teaching mathematics classes as an adjunct instructor. Based on the success she had in the classroom, she began teaching more each semester. A full-time professor, Marnich has served as chair of Point Park's education department — now School of Education — and the University's faculty athletic representative for more than 10 years.
As chair, Marnich helped the School of Education reach a number of accomplishments including certifications for programs in Pre-K through Grade 4 and Grade 4 through Grade 8, two special education programs (Pre-K through Grade 8 and Grade 7 through Grade 12), three master's degree programs (Teaching and Leadership, Secondary Education leading to Pa. certification and M.Ed. in Athletic Coaching) and an Ed.D. doctoral program in leadership and administration.
Pennsylvania Teaching Certifications
- Middle School Mathematics
- Secondary Mathematics
- "Marketing for Dual Certification for Secondary and Special Education," State Personnel Development Grant conference, March 2011.
- "Dual Certification for Secondary and Special Education" State Personnel Development Grant conference, Nov. 2010.
- "Higher Education Faculty Development Using Technology - Staying on the 'Cutting Edge,'" Pennsylvania Association of Colleges and Teacher Educators conference," Oct. 2010.
- "Student Teaching Portfolios with Technology" Pennsylvania Association of Colleges and Teacher Educators conference, Oct. 2010.
- "Creating Secondary Education/Special Education Dual Certification Programs," Pennsylvania Training and Technical Assistance Network conference, March 2010.
- "Building a Professional Development School from Conception through Year One," Pennsylvania Association of Colleges and Teacher Educators conference, Oct. 2008.
- Vice Chair, Southwestern Pennsylvania Teacher Education Collaborative
- Mathematics Council of Western Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Science Teachers Association
- Pennsylvania Association of Colleges and Teacher Educators, Dean's Forum
- Southwest Regional Key, Higher Education Sub-Committee
- Community College of Allegheny County, Education Advisory Board
- School District University Collaborative, Executive Committee
In the News
- "Point Park starts School of Education," Observer-Reporter, Sept. 6, 2018
- "Point Park University establishes School of Education," Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Sept. 5, 2018.
- "Citing demand, Point Park University creating new School of Education," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Sept. 5, 2018.
- "Point Park University opens School of Education," Pittsburgh Business Times, Sept. 5, 2018.
- "Point Park University to Launch a School of Education," Diverse Issues in Higher Education, Sept. 5, 2018.
- Point Park University's Dr. Darlene Marnich and Coach Chivas Whipple on PPU's Degree in Athletic Coaching," CBS Pittsburgh, June 22, 2017.
Point Park Features
- "Point Park University Introduces Master of Education Degree in Athletic Coaching," Point Park University website, April 14, 2017.
- "Liberal Studies Alumnus, Point Park Basketball Hall of Famer Coaching at Collegiate Level," Point Park University website, Oct. 27, 2016.
- "2015 Grad Combines Education, Business Studies for Rewarding Career in Financial Services," Point Park University website, Oct. 20, 2015.
- "Alumna, Teacher Attributes Career Success to Undergrad Education From Point Park," Point Park University website, March 17, 2015.
- "Point Park to Offer Doctorate in Leadership and Administration this Fall," Point Park University website, May 8, 2014.
- "Elementary Education Students Study Abroad at the University of London," Point Park University website, July 24, 2013.
- "Education Alumnus a Science Teacher for Dilworth Elementary in Pittsburgh," Point Park University website, April 24, 2013.
- "Dual certification option now available for education undergrads," Point Park University website, March 1, 2011.
- "Excellence in Both Athletics, Academics Sets Roddy Apart," Point Park University website, April 16, 2010.