Suzanne E. Miller, Ed.D.
Professor Emeritus of Education
- Office: 702 Academic Hall
- Phone: 412-392-3975 (education department)
- Fax: 412-392-3927
- Email: email@example.com
- Bachelor of Science, Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- Master of Education, Pennsylvania State University
- Doctor of Education, Interdisciplinary Program for Educational Leadership, Duquesne University
Suzanne (Evagash) Miller's dedication to her pupils and to the field of education spans over four decades. Since arriving at Point Park University more than 25 years ago, Dr. Miller dedicated her career to preparing future teachers with the best educational training possible. Her accomplishments are vast and varied. She taught 17 different course offerings in the undergraduate degree certification program for the education department, as well as advised and registered students, participated in institution-wide fundraising, and served on numerous committees.
Dr. Miller established partnerships with recognized language arts authorities, as well as local basic education and international higher education administrators, including institutions in the United Kingdom (Oxford University and the University of Chichester) where she established a semester-long student teacher placement site. She wrote countless documents for the Pennsylvania Department of Education and published articles in international professional journals, as well as presented to an international group of delegates in Oxford, England. Her article addressing the benefits of using children's literature as a tool to teach values education and anti-bullying was presented at an international conference in Oxford and published in the peer-reviewed journal Forum on Public Policy: A Journal of the Oxford Round Table.
Overall, Dr. Miller's extensive career includes 20 years as a full-time faculty member of the education department at Point Park University, department head at the Boyd School, adjunct faculty member at Community College of Allegheny County and Duquesne University, elementary teacher for Connellsville Area Schools, middle/junior high school teacher for Shaler Area Schools, and senior high school teacher for the Valley Grove School District, The Diocese of Pittsburgh, Jefferson-Union Schools (Ohio) and the Northern Area Substitute Teacher Service.
- Reading Methods I
- Reading Methods II
- Teaching Language Arts
- Teaching Language Arts/Social Studies in Grades 4-8
- Developmental Reading
- Literacy & Learning in Secondary School
- Differentiated Reading for the Developing Child
- Teaching in Elementary School
- Teaching in Secondary School
Key Professional Awards and Accomplishments
- Established an international student teaching program for Point Park University student teachers at University College Chichester in West Sussex, England
- Awarded an Outstanding Service Award by the North Hills School District for work and efforts with the Utilization Committee
- Awarded Educator of the Year Award from Junior Achievement for partnership/mentor "for the volunteer spirit of your students to show our students how America works"
- Voted Best Education Instructor, student poll conducted by The Globe, Point Park's student newspaper
- Awarded Act 48 Credits for course work in children's literature at Shenandoah University and the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, as well as for participation at the annual Point Park Childhood and Society Symposium
- Awarded Certification of Recognition from Phi Delta Kappa for decade of membership and service
- Awarded a grant from the Higher Education Initiative for the training of pre-service and in-service teachers dealing with classroom accommodations in math and science for gifted minority students
- Nominated for Pennsylvania State University Alumni Award for Teacher Excellence