Ben Schonberger, M.F.A.
Lecturer of Photography
- M.F.A., Photography, Cranbrook Academy of Art
- B.F.A., Photography/Computer Imagery, Shepherd University
- Advanced Photography
- Black and White Photography
- Commercial and Editorial Photography
- Constructed Still Life
- Introduction to Digital Photography
- Self-Publishing: The Photobook
- Studio Photography
Ben Schonberger is a visual artist and lecturer of photography based on the North Side of Pittsburgh. Utilizing photography, appropriated imagery, collage, performance and sculpture, his work examines the complexities of identity through longterm social investigations and archive augmentation processes.
Schonberger has exhibited his projects nationally and internationally. His work is part of public and private collections including The Detroit Institute of Arts Department of Prints, Drawings and Photographs and The Toledo Museum of Art. His self-published photobooks can be found in the MoMA Library, The Cleveland Museum of Art Library and The Arts Library at Yale University.
- Associated Artists of Pittsburgh, member
- The Aperature Foundation, member
- Society for Photographic Education, member
- DIY photobooks and self-publishing
- Systems that shape identity and narratives
Selected Artistic Works
- Beautiful Pig: Filter Space, Chicago, Ill. (November 2018)
- Beautiful Pig: Phaze II Gallery, Shepherd University, Shepherdstown, W.Va., 2017
- Beautiful Pig: Contemporary Art Toledo + River House Arts, Toledo, Ohio, 2016
- HAMMER: The Muted Horn, Cleveland, Ohio, 2016
- Foam Talent: Frankfurter Kunstverein, Frankfurt, Germany, 2018
- Foam Talent: Beaconsfield, London, England, 2018
- Silver Eye Auction Preview Exhibition: Silver Eye Center for Photography, Pittsburgh, Pa., 2018
- Foam Talent: Red Hook Labs, Brooklyn, N.Y., 2018
- Where Light Goes: curated by Brian Carpenter, CVA Gallery, The University of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio, 2018.
Selected Awards & Honors
- Recipient: Greater Pittsburgh Artist Opportunity Grant, Pittsburgh, Pa., 2018
- Foam Talent: Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2017
- Shortlisted, jury special mention by Anouk Kruithof, The Anamorphosis Prize, Old Greenwich, Conn., 2015
- Shortlisted: The Paris Photo-Aperture Foundation PhotoBook Award: Paris, France, 2013
Point Park Features
- Pioneer Public: Ben Schonberger, The Globe
- Behind the Lens with Ben Schonberger, Instructor of Photography
In the News
- "Featured Artist: Photo-Emphasis," 2018
- "Foam Talent Call," 2017
- "The Disturbing Personal Archive of a Former Detroit Policeman," Hyperallergic, Aug. 31, 2016.