High School Programs
Explore the Evolving World of Communication and Media
The School of Communication offers current high school students two exciting opportunities to visit campus and learn what it's like to study in one of our innovative communication majors:
- Summer Journalism Workshop (residential)
- Fall/Spring High School Media Day
Available Workshops for High School Students
Summer High School Journalism Workshop
Summer 2019 (residential workshop)
Point Park University campus, Downtown Pittsburgh
Get a taste of your career-to-be at our Summer High School Journalism workshop.
High school students entering grades 9-12 will meet journalists in their chosen specialty and produce content for a student-created website. Additionally, students will tour Pittsburgh's best venues. In the past, students have visited PNC Park, PPG Paints Arena, Stage AE and attended a live taping at KDKA-TV.
Students will also soak up Point Park University's urban campus participating in activities around the City of Pittsburgh.
2018 Summer Workshop Photos
What will you do in these workshops?
- Students will focus on their area of interest (news, sports, entertainment, the environment, politics)
- Learn and apply the aesthetic principles of photography and web design to more effectively tell a story
- Develop better writing and interviewing skills
- Network with professionals working in the field
2018 registration fee will include:
- Workshops, overnight accommodations, most meals and social activities (students not staying overnight will pay a reduced fee)
- High school students 16 and older stay overnight in a residence hall
- High school students 15 and younger may attend all activities but are not permitted to stay overnight (students not staying overnight will pay a reduced fee)
Funding for the High School Summer Journalism Workshop (part of Bridge to Your Future) was provided by the Scott Fund, the Emil Winter Family Fund and the Lewis H. and Jess Morgan Kelly Fund of The Pittsburgh Foundation.
High School Media Day 2018: Students Hear First-Hand About Tree of Life Shooting from City of Pittsburgh's Public Information Officer
High School Media Day
The School of Communication hosts High School Media Day twice a year at Point Park University. High school students and teachers are invited to the event to learn about media and communication industries.
Point Park faculty members lead interactive sessions within their specialty areas; topics include: advertising, broadcasting, media ethics, multimedia, photojournalism and public relations. The program includes lunch and the option to have a Point Park professor critique your high school's student newspaper.
Questions? Contact Nan Knapp, administrative assistant, 412-392-4730 or firstname.lastname@example.org.