Part-Time Faculty- Literary Arts
Adjunct Faculty-Composition and Literature
The Department of Literary Arts at Point Park University seeks adjunct instructors to teach composition and literature courses, primarily in our newly-designed core curriculum. Required: Master's degree in English or related field; demonstrated excellence in teaching at the college level; doctorate or ABD preferred.
REQUIRED PROFESSIONAL PREPARATION
At minimum, a Master's degree in one of the following areas (or, in a related field with substantial coursework in one of the following areas):
Doctorate in one of the above fields (or, progress towards a doctoral degree) is preferred.
Required Professional Expertise
- Knowledge of and commitment to teaching strategies and methods which enhance student success, with particular regard to process-oriented writing and information literacy.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to teach the courses or perform the duties effectively as described above.
- Demonstrated ability to use classroom technologies and online course management systems (smart podiums, digital projectors, email, Blackboard, etc).
- Ability to communicate well with students of diverse academic, ethnic, socioeconomic, and cultural backgrounds, including students with disabilities.
- Ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with others.
Desired Qualifications/Performance Expectations
- Recent successful teaching of composition or literature at the college level
- Demonstrated innovative teaching techniques and methodologies
- Experience teaching diverse student populations
- Experience developing and marketing new programs to diverse populations
- Ability to participate in assessment of student learning
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Design courses based on approved syllabus, goals, and objectives
- Participate in professional development activities and workshops
- Promote a positive, dynamic, and student-centered classroom environment
- Set aside time for one-on-one meetings/conferences with students to respond to questions, provide feedback, etc.
- Work with the Program Director to ensure instructional quality and program quality.
- Follow guidelines and policies set forth in the Adjunct Faculty Handbook
Please send a CV; a letter of application detailing your area(s) of teaching interest, experience, qualifications, and availability for the Fall semester; a statement of teaching philosophy; a list of three professional references with contact information; and student evaluation summaries from at least TWO recent courses to email@example.com. Successful applicants are required to submit official transcripts and to complete an employment application.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About the University: Point Park University is an independent, coed institution located in downtown Pittsburgh with an enrollment of approximately 4,000 full- and part-time students in more than 50 majors and concentrations. To learn more about Point Park University visit http://www.pointpark.edu.
Posted on August 1, 2017