REPORTS TO: Dean of Student Life
DEPARTMENT: Office of Student Affairs
SPECIAL NOTE: Position is a full-time, 10 month position; Benefits continue for 12 months.
Primary health care provider of University students within the accepted professional nursing standards and protocols and laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Candidate must possess and be able to maintain a current, unrestricted RN license in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree preferred. Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required. A minimum of three to five years of training and experience working in an academic healthcare setting is required (college or university experience preferred) that includes working with individuals of diverse racial, cultural, economic, and religious backgrounds, as well as a variety of ages, ranging from ten years of age through older adult. The candidate must also possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to carry out the duties and responsibilities of the position. The candidate must also possess excellent communication, interpersonal, customer service, organizational, and time management skills, and a clear understanding of HIPAA and FERPA. Proficiency in EHR preferred; supervisory experience a plus.
HEALTHCARE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide professional and competent nursing care to the University students that follows current standards of care and utilizes sound clinical judgment based on assessment of the physical, psychological, emotional, societal and environmental needs of each person and is within the appropriate scope of practice.
- Assess for real and potential health hazards relating to current health status, including analysis of risky behaviors that may impact a patient’s health status.
- Supervise the Administrative Assistant within the Health Office.
- Educate and encourage recognition and change of behaviors that have a negative impact on health.
- Provide education about diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions, and appropriate preventive measures as needed.
- Offer continuity of care as needed, based on original and ongoing assessment of health status.
- Consult, refer, and collaborate with University physician for students in need of additional medical care.
- Provide support to parents concerned with their student’s illness, while respecting the confidentiality of the student.
- Document appropriately and clearly in patient records, following current standards, including noting the reason for a visit that includes subjective observations as described by the patient, objective findings from examination, assessment of the problem, and plan for treatment and follow up of care as needed.
- Oversee all healthcare education and outreach to the University community including, but not limited to, health and wellness events, immunization clinics, and first aid/CPR courses.
ADMINISTRATIVE AND OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain current, unrestricted RN license in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and complete all necessary continuing education and training required to maintain that license.
- Communicate in a clear, effective, and professional manner at all times.
- Manage the Student Health Center operating budget.
- Manage the medical and office supply inventory as needed.
- Manage the medical and office equipment inventory and maintenance of the equipment as needed.
- Hiring and supervision of the Student Health Center staff.
- Provide necessary training to the Student Life resident professional and student staff.
- Serve as a member of the emergency/crisis management team.
- Participate in University enrollment and orientation programs.
- Maintain student/patient confidentiality as required by law and advocate for students as necessary.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as deemed necessary by the Vice President of Student Affairs/Dean of Students and the Dean of Student Life.
Qualified applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email to HROffice@pointpark.edu (preferred) or mail to:
Point Park University
Human Resources Office
201 Wood Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
When responding via email please reference - UNIVERSITY NURSE - in the subject line.
Please submit documents in Rich Text (.txt) Word document (.doc) or Adobe Portable Document Format (.pdf).
All emails submitted will receive an automatic confirmation email. Due to some junk mail filters, the confirmation email may not reach you. To ensure receipt of the confirmation email, utilize the return receipt option built into your email program when sending your information.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Due to the high volume of resumes received, Point Park University will not be able to respond to inquiries regarding the status of your resume. If we determine that your skills and experience match the position requirements, we will contact you to discuss the opportunity further. If you do not hear from us, we encourage you to revisit our website at www.pointpark.edu for the status of the position and future opportunities.
Point Park University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.